Marijuana inspection: mycotoxin testing
Concerning the testing of cannabis product for mycotoxins, there is a pool of standard methods on which to draw. All methods employed must include applicable controls. Methods must confirm screened results as either positive or negative by the inclusion of a confirmation.
Methods applicable to mycotoxin testing:
- Balthrop, Jim. Brand, Benedikt. Cowie, Richard A. Danier, Jürgen. Boever, Johan De. Jonge, Leon de. Jackson, Felicity. Makkar, Harinder P.S. Piotrowski, Chris, 2011. Quality Assurance for Animal Feed Analysis Laboratories. Food and Agriculture of the United States.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2013. ORA Laboratory Manual: Section 7, Mycotoxin Analysis: https://www.fda.gov/
- Gilbert, J. Anklam, E. 2002. Validation of analytical methods for determining mycotoxins in foodstuffs. Trends in analytical chemistry, 21 (6-7) 468-486.
- Latimer, George, 2016. Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC INTERNATIONAL, 20th Edition. AOAC International.
- Kinsella, Brian., Telepchak, Michael J., Mackowsky, Danielle., Duncan, Douglas A., Fanning, Tina. 2017. Pesticide and Mycotoxin Analysis: Mastering the Complexity of the Cannabis Matrix. LCGC Special Issues, 35 (5) 33-38
- Leslie, John F. Bandyopadhyay, Ranajit. Visconti, Angelo, 2008. Mycotoxins: Detection Methods, Management, Public Health and Agricultural Trade. CAB International.
- Mahoney, Noreen., Molyneux, Russell J., 2010. A Rapid Analytical Method for Determination of Aflatoxins in Plant-Derived Dietary Supplement and Cosmetic Oils. Journal of Food Chemistry, 58(7) 4065-4070.
- Salfinger, Yvonne and Tortorello, Mary Lou, 2015. Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods, 5th Edition. American Public Health Association.
- Varma, Ajit. Rai, Mahendra 2010. Mycotoxins in Food, Feed and Bioweapons. Springer.
- Zhang, Kai., et al., 2016. A Collaborative Study: Determination of Mycotoxins in Corn, Peanut Butter, and Wheat Flour Using Stable Isotope Dilution Assay (SIDA) and Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). Journal of Agricultural AND Food Chemistry, 65 (33) 7138–7152.