2016-2020 Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessment
Results from the Colorado Maternal and Child Health Needs Assessment
Every five years the Colorado Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Program conducts a statewide needs assessment of the health and well-being of Colorado’s women, children, youth and their families, including children and youth with special health care needs. The process involves collecting data to assess the health status of the MCH population as well as state and local capacity. The process led to the selection of seven MCH priorities:
- Women’s mental health including pregnancy-related depression.
- Reducing disparities in infant mortality among the African-American population.
- Early childhood obesity prevention.
- Developmental screening and referral systems building.
- Youth systems building with a focus on bullying, youth suicide and substance use prevention.
- Medical home for children and youth with special health care needs.
- Substance use/abuse prevention among the MCH population, including marijuana, prescription drug abuse, alcohol and smoking (specific focus to be determined).
These priorities, identified by the MCH Advisory Group, will drive state and local public health work for 2016-2020.
2016-2020 MCH Needs Assessment Report (This is a large file and may take longer to load.)
About the needs assessment
The purpose of the assessment is to identify seven to 10 specific priorities that public health can impact during the next five years.
Since state and local staff made an important impact on the MCH priorities selected during the last needs assessment process, many of the same tools and approaches will be used. For example, between August and October state staff will engage stakeholders from across the state to gather their perspectives about how to improve the health and well-being of women, children, youth and families across Colorado.
Detailed information on the stakeholder meetings is sent out in late June. For questions about the needs assessment process, please email the project manager: Gina.Febbraro@state.co.us.
Reference documents for the Needs Assessment
- MCH Needs Assessment Summary.
- MCH Needs Assessment Report.
- Public Health Needs Assessment Tools.
- Check out some basic information on the MCH needs assessment, as well as a visual overview of the process.
- Read about the key principles that are being used to guide the MCH needs assessment and planning processes.
- Learn more about the progress and plans of the 2016-2020 MCH needs assessment process: Watch this recorded webinar.
- Learn about the results of the 2016-2020 needs assessment: Watch this webinar recording.