Household photographic processing chemicals
Do not flush photo processing chemicals down the drain if your home is connected to a septic tank.
Even in a diluted form, these chemicals can destroy the bacterial action in your septic system and drain field.
- Provide adequate ventilation by opening windows and doors and/or turning on a room fan.
- Wear protective clothing such as chemical-resistant gloves, eye protection and long sleeves.
- Carefully pour the diluted developer or fixer solution slowly down the sink, flushing with large amounts of water and taking care not to splash.
- If the chemicals are unused, they should first be diluted according to the use directions on the package.
- Failure to dilute unused concentrated solutions can seriously damage pipes or other parts of your plumbing.
- Continue disposing in batches until chemicals are completely gone.
- Don't mix products, and wait several hours between disposing of different types of products.
- The best time to do this is during the working day, when the sewage system is in full use so this material passes through the municipal sewage system faster.