Household ignitable liquids
Always use extreme care when handling ignitable liquids.
- Work outdoors. Avoid inhaling fumes and stay away from ignition sources.
- Wear protective gloves, eye protection, boots and clothing that covers exposed skin.
- Mix a small quantity of the liquid with cat litter or other clay-based absorbent in a plastic tray or bucket until the absorbent is moist but not dripping.
- Set the mixture outdoors in a well-ventilated area away from potential ignition sources, children and pets.
- Allow to dry.
- If you have additional liquid, this procedure can be repeated, reusing the dried absorbent.
- Never reuse the same absorbent for more than one type of ignitable liquid waste, however.
- Wrap the dried absorbent in double trash bags.
- Store the packaged waste safely away from children and pets.
- Place the packaged waste in your trash the day it is picked up or taken to the landfill.
- The empty cans or containers the product came in can also be placed in the trash.
- Leave the lids off so your trash hauler knows the containers are empty.