Healthy Kids Colorado Survey and Smart Source Information
Healthy Kids Colorado Survey (HKCS) and Colorado Healthy Schools Smart Source (Smart Source), are Colorado’s widely-administered surveys on the health and well-being of young people and school health policies and practices that support youth health. Data from HKCS and Smart Source are complementary and can be used together to provide a more complete picture of youth and school health. Check out this video to learn more!
The surveys, conducted in the fall of odd-numbered years, are supported by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS), the Colorado Department of Public Safety (CDPS), the Colorado Department of Education (CDE), and an advisory group of state and local stakeholders. The surveys are administered by a team of researchers at the Colorado School of Public Health (CSPH) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
CDPHE focuses on statewide and regional survey results, while the CSPH Survey Team aids schools and districts with accessing and interpreting their local results.
Click here to learn more about the Smart Source Survey, including methodology, use of data, and how this resource complements the Healthy Kids Colorado Survey.
Healthy Kids Colorado Survey:
Methodology. Spanish coming soon.
Statewide and regional data:
- State and Regional results featuring Interactive 2013-2019 Data Dashboard.
- 2019 Paired Indicator Report featuring statewide HKCS and Smart Source data.
- Shared Risk and Protective Factor Profiles on scientifically-validated risk and protective factors that influence the likelihood of substance abuse, violence, and mental health outcomes.
- More 2019 Statewide Reports and Infographics coming soon!
- For statewide and regional data requests, visit CDPHE’s data request system or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Schools and School Districts:
CDPHE does not have access to data at the school or district level.
For school or district data requests, contact the CSPH Survey Team at CSPHSurveyTeam@cuanschutz.edu.
2019 surveys and parent letters
- 2019 Parent Information Letter: Active Consent (English and Spanish)
- 2019 Parent Information Letter: Passive Consent (English and Spanish)
- 2019 High School Survey - Module A
- 2019 High School Survey - Module B
- 2019 Middle School Survey
2020 HKCS Supplement: COVID-19
During the fall of 2020, select middle and high schools were invited to participate in a small, supplemental administration to measure the impact of COVID-19 on the health of young people.
School and Youth Survey Newsletter