Health Equity Commission
The Health Equity Commission advises the department through the Office of Health Equity on health equity issues, focusing on alignment, education and capacity-building for state and local health programs and community-based organizations.
- Provide a formal mechanism for the public to give input to the office.
Advise us through the office on:
- Innovative data collection and dissemination strategies.
- Aligning our health equity efforts and the Health Disparities Grant programs.
- Strengthening collaborative partnerships with communities impacted by health disparities to identify and promote health equity strategies.
- Promote workforce diversity.
- The commission consists of 10 members representing, to the extent practical, Colorado's diverse ethnic, racial, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, aging population, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds.
- In addition, the commission has two legislative members and one designee each from the Colorado departments of Public Health and Environment, Human Services, and Health Care Policy and Financing.
- Commissioners' bios.
The Health Equity Commission (HEC) meetings are held on a quarterly basis at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, Denver and alternate between in-person or conference call only. Please reference call-in number and participant code listed below. Meeting announcements and updates will be listed below on a monthly basis. Meetings are open to the public.
HEC meeting agenda | minutes - Coming soon.
Quarterly Health Equity Commission meeting.
Please check back the week before meeting date for any updates.
Conference call meeting
The call will be focused around the purposed slate of new Health Equity Commission members.
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2018
Time: 12:00 p.m - 12:30 p.m.
Conference call number: 1-877-820-7831 participant code: 178610#.
Health Equity Commission Retreat
Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2018
Time: 09:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: The Colorado Mountain College 901 South Highway 24 Leadville, CO 80461- Link to map.
Please contact the Office of Health Equity 303.692.2087, to request access to the meeting via phone or web conferencing.
Upcoming Quarterly Health Equity Commission meetings:
Dec 2018 - TBD
Upcoming Health Equity Commission subcommittee meetings:
Health in All Policies:
Policies with Equity Implications:
- Water Fluoridation - Despite coverage gains under the Affordable Care Act, many Denver residents still don’t have access to quality, affordable oral health services. Students miss school, workers are less productive and many Denver residents suffer needlessly due to preventable dental disease. Community water fluoridation provides health benefits for all Denver residents, regardless of income, gender, age, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Research shows that community water fluoridation can reduce cavities by as much as 40 percent at a cost of $1 per person per year for large water systems like Denver, with a return on investment of $61 per person per year in avoided dental costs. Despite opponents’ claims, there is no credible evidence that fluoridation increases the health risks of Denver residents.
Past meeting information:
Health Disparities Grant Program (HDGP) Funding Conference
Purpose: Discuss the review of all applications received regarding HDGP RFA #8473
Date: Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Time: 8:50 a.m. - 3:35 p.m.
Location: Holiday Inn, Colorado Room
455 South Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO 80246
To join remotely, follow this link: https://cdphe.adobeconnect.com/rsuxb2qthuju/ and call 877-820-7831, passcode: 178610#.