Gender changes due to surgical procedures
Gender change via sex reassignment surgery is a process in which a person’s physical characteristics and/or social gender role are changed to reflect the sex opposite of that determined at birth.
This type of gender or sex change is different from when misinformation is recorded during the filing of the original birth certificate.
To request a gender change to your birth certificate:
1. Complete a birth certificate correction form.
2. Submit a copy of your identification.
3. Pay the non-refundable processing fee.
4. Submit a certified copy of a court order indicating the gender change.
- For gender changes completed in Colorado, you can submit forms JDF 76 and 77 specifying gender change by surgical procedure.
5. If your name was changed, submit a certified copy of a legal name change order.
- For name changes completed in Colorado, you can get a certified copy through the Colorado Judicial Branch.
6. Submit your request. This form may be submitted only in person or by mail.