Enforcement actions against Suncor
Summary: The State’s Air Pollution Control Division (APCD) has settled four enforcement actions against Suncor since 2015. It is currently pursuing actions for the 2018 and 2019 inspection findings. The Air Pollution Control Division’s enforcement authority is provided via statute (see 25-7-115 C.R.S.) and the process typically followed is described in the division’s Compliance Assistance and Enforcement Guide. Formal enforcement actions are typically initiated via issuance of a Compliance Advisory, which is a document that formally puts the company on notice regarding the division’s findings of alleged violations. Formal enforcement actions may be finalized through a variety of documents, but most often are finalized via a settlement document (Compliance Order on Consent or Early Settlement Agreement). Below are the copies of recent Compliance Advisories issued to and settlements with Suncor, as well as a link to the guidance document.
Copies/Links to the settlement documents for enforcement actions finalized in the last five years.
- 2018 & 2019 inspection findings; Case Nos. 2019-097 & 2019-194; March 6, 2020 Effective date
- 2017 inspection findings; Case No. 2018-100; June 24, 2019 Effective date
- 2016 inspection findings; Case No. 2017-092; April 19, 2018 Effective date
- 2015 inspection findings; Case No. 2016-119; January 9, 2017 Effective date
- 2013 & 2014 inspection findings; Case Nos. 2014-122/123; August 26, 2015 Effective date
Copies/Links to the Compliance Advisories issued to Suncor for which the enforcement action is still in process.
- 2018 inspection findings; Case No. 2019-097; June 25, 2019 issuance
- 2019 inspection findings; Case No. 2019-194; December 13, 2019 issuance
The division is responsible for enforcing the state’s air pollution laws and regulations. In carrying out this responsibility, the division works with regulated entities (e.g., sources) in proactively addressing sources’ compliance needs. The division also performs traditional enforcement services, including facility site inspections. With respect to the division’s enforcement functions, the division may, depending upon the results of its investigations, initiate an enforcement action. This Compliance Assistance and Enforcement Guide addresses both the division’s preventative and enforcement functions.