EMS medical direction
Register as an EMS medical director, OATH application attestation
Get a waiver for your agency, report a rapid sequence intubation procedure
Medical direction resources
- Ketamine waiver guidance document.
- Ketamine for excited delirium waiver report form.
- Ketamine for pain management waiver report form.
- RSI case report form.
- Adult RSI waiver guidance.
- Pediatric RSI waiver guidance.
- Guide for preparing medical directors.
- IAFC Handbook for EMS Medical Directors.
- Medical directors continuous quality improvement program (including protocols).
- Educational standards comparison with Colorado scope of practice.
- IM epinephrine and vasopressor scope of practice clarification document.
- CPR Directive information.
- Frequently requested information.
We regulate EMS providers through the Rules Pertaining to EMS Practice and Medical Director Oversight 6 CCR 1015-3, Chapter 2, which defines the roles and responsibilities of a medical director and the Colorado EMS scope of practice for each level of provider.
Medical director registration is required as defined in Rules Pertaining to EMS Practice and Medical Director Oversight.
The Emergency Medical Practice Advisory Committee advises the departmnt about the appropriate scope of practice for EMS providers, including waivers to scope of practice and criteria for physicians to serve as EMS medical directors. Meetings are held quarterly.