Emissions and permitting fees

Air Pollutant Emission Notice (APEN) filing fee
  • APENs received on or after August 1, 2020:
    • $216.00
  • This fee applies for each APEN submitted, including those submitted for administrative changes (e.g., changes in ownership, change in location).
  • Your APEN will be rejected if it is filled out incorrectly, is missing information, or lacks payment for the filing fee. The re-submittal will require a new filing fee. See our Application Rejection Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Annual emission fee
  • Prior to August 2020:
    • $28.63 per ton of criteria pollutant.
    • $191.13 per ton of hazardous air pollutant.
  • On or after August 2020 (estimated):
    • $32.00 per ton of criteria pollutant.
    • $216.00 per ton of hazardous air pollutant.
  • If your source is required to file an Air Pollutant Emission Notice, you must pay an annual fee.
  • The fee is based on the total annual emissions as reported on the most current Air Pollutant Emission Notice we have on file. Invoices for these fees will be mailed in May or June of each year.
Permit processing fee
  • Hours charged on or after July 1, 2020:
    • $108.12 per hour 
  • We are required by law to recover the costs of operating the permitting program by charging applicants a processing fee. This fee is based on the time it takes us to process the application according to an hourly rate and including costs such as publication of public notice.
  • The final approval fee includes the total of all costs associated with enforcement of the construction permit, compliance testing and other costs for processing the permit.
  • Processing fees are charged for both initial and final approval permits, modifications, requested administrative changes and transfer of ownership. By law, we must notify you in writing if total processing time (initial plus final) is anticipated to exceed 30 hours. In such cases, we must provide you with an estimate of the projected processing time. You can choose to waive this notice requirement in writing when submitting your application. 


Frequently asked questions

  • Appeals and invoicing questions


If you want to appeal an invoiced amount, you must submit the appeal in writing within 30 days of the invoice date to stop the deadline process and eventual collections activities. You can submit questions about the invoice in a letter or call the Air Pollutant Emission Notice hotline:
  • Period of coverage
Generally, the invoice is for emissions generated during the previous calendar year.
  • If the facility was sold during the invoiced year
The sale of a facility requires the submission of a revised Air Pollutant Emission Notice (including filing fees) documenting the transfer of ownership. The previous and new owners can decide between themselves how to prorate the fee, or each can submit a revised Air Pollutant Emission Notice (including filing fees) documenting emissions for their period of responsibility.
  • If the facility closed before the invoiced year
An annual fee invoice may be canceled if no operation occurred that year if you request in writing to cancel the APEN. More information about source closure procedures is provided below.
  • What pollutant numbers on your invoice mean
Hazardous air pollutants are designated on the invoice by their Chemical Abstract Service number. The list of the chargeable pollutants in Appendix C of Regulation 3 contains these numbers. These also can be identified in numerous chemical references or by calling us.
  • Source closure processing
If you’re closing down an air pollution emissions source, you may wish to have it removed from the inventory. This will avoid further annual fees for those emissions.
  • If the source is to be permanently closed (i.e., dismantled), you must notify us in writing to have it removed and have all associated permits canceled.
  • Please be specific about the equipment and permits to be canceled.
  • There’s no filing fee to cancel a source; if the source is ever reopened it will require all new Air Pollutant Emission Notices.
  • If the permit was canceled, it will require permits just as if it had never been permitted before.
If a source is to be closed temporarily, you can cancel the APEN and keep the permit. However, you must file a new APEN  (including filing fees) before it restarts, showing expected emissions for the coming year.