Gold Leader - Peterson Air Force Base
U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, 21st Space Wing
Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs
Member since 2015
U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, 21st Space Wing is home to the 21st Space Wing (21 SW) & 53 mission partners. It is also the headquarters of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), Northern Command (US NORTHCOM), and Air Force Space Command (AFSPC).
- Solar panels affixed to on-base housing produce 3.3 M kWh/year; additional energy reduction strategies saved an added 851,000 kWh during Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2017.
- Upgraded boiler units on base saved 922.5 MMBtu in FFY 2017.
- 500,000 lbs. of waste recycled in FFY 2017.
The scope of the 21st Space Wing Multi-Site Environmental Management System (EMS) includes activities, products, and services having an impact to the environment at the major installations under the 21st Space Wing; specifically, Peterson AFB CO, Cape Cod AFS MA, Cavalier AFS ND, Cheyenne Mountain AFS CO, Clear AFS AK, and Thule AB Greenland. The Multi-Site EMS is applicable to all 21 SW Airman and Mission Partners on 21 SW installations. 21 SW Units and Airman hosted on non-21 SW installations are included in Host Installation EMS.
The purpose of this procedure is to define the 21st Space Wing (SW) Environmental Commitment Statement to protect built and natural infrastructure, protect the environment where 21 SW and Mission Partners live and work and ensure sustainability of missions of the 21 SW and Mission Partners.
The Environmental Commitment Statement is the driver for managing 21 SW activities that impact the environment. The scope of the Environmental Commitment Statement includes activities, products, and services at the major installations of the 21st SW; specifically, Peterson AFB, Cheyenne Mountain AFS, Cape Cod AFS, Cavalier AFS, Clear AFS and Thule AB. The 21st SW Environmental Commitment Statement sets the senior leadership vision for, and commitment to, continuous improvement of environmental performance. This commitment impacts all elements of the EMS and is periodically reviewed and revised by senior leadership to ensure its continued relevance and effectiveness, and to reflect changing conditions and regulations.
21st Space Wing Environmental Commitment Statement
The 21st Space Wing operates and sustains global missile warning and space control capabilities at global installations for America and its allies. Protecting the environment where we live and work is an integral part of supporting our vision of being "The Space Superiority Wing of the 21st Century - Driving Excellence Today and Tomorrow."
Environmental quality remains one of our highest priorities and will be a major factor in disciplined decision-making processes. We dedicate ourselves to environmental leadership by demonstrating innovative improvement of our processes to prevent and reduce waste generation. In all of our activities we will seek to:
- Achieve continual improvement in environmental performance over and above regulatory and legislative requirements;
- Systematically review Environmental Management requirements throughout year
- Prevent environmental pollution and waste;
- Build environmental concerns and sustainment into relevant guidance, programs, and missions;
- Promote the conservation and sustainable use of natural and built infrastructure, as well as cultural resources;
- Integrate environmental compliance into all levels of management;
- Communicate environmental commitment to all installation personnel and to all other interested parties;
- Work in partnership with all stakeholders to promote waste reduction;
- Effectively identify and manage risk from encroachment to protect AF assets and mission.