Critical access hospitals
- People in need of acute care services due to pregnancy, illness or injury who live in rural/frontier areas.
- Main campus hospital services:
- Inpatient and outpatient acute care services and emergency services.
- Emergency services are usually provided 24/7. On-call services will be available within 30 minutes. If the hospital is located in a rural frontier area, on-call services will be provided within 60 minutes.
- Emergency services may be provided by a physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist with training or experience in emergency care.
- Off-campus location services:
- Outpatient services.
Licensed staff routinely on-site
- Physician extenders (i.e., advanced nurse practitioners or physician assistants) and nurses. Some facilities, but not all, routinely have physicians on-site.