Correct or change a birth certificate

To request a correction or change to a birth certificate, you must submit the following:
Name change
Effective September 1, 2018, Vital Records will require copies of ID's from both parents when they are requesting a change to their child's name on the birth certificate when the child is under one year of age.
To change given name on a birth certificate of a person younger than 1 year, send a completed and signed birth certificate correction form as outlined above.
To change the given name on a birth certificate of a person older than 1 year, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of a legal name change order before submitting the birth certificate correction form. The legal name change form can be downloaded from the Colorado State Judicial Branch.
Certified copies of corrections and testimonial letter
Complete this form to receive either:
  1. A certified copy of the birth correction form used to make a change to the birth certificate. This certified copy may be submitted to agencies requiring evidence that a change was made to the birth record.
  2. A certified testimonial letter to provide evidence of a change to a vital event or as evidence of what information is on file with the Colorado Office of the State Registrar. 
Parentage (add or remove father/second parent)