Correct or change a birth certificate
To request a correction or change to a birth certificate, you must submit the following:
- Completed birth certificate correction form | In Spanish.
- Copy of your identification.
- Documentary evidence of the change or correction as outlined below.
- Non-refundable processing fees.
To change given name on a birth certificate of a person younger than 1 year, send a completed and signed birth certificate correction form as outlined above.
To change the given name on a birth certificate of a person older than 1 year, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of a legal name change order before submitting the birth certificate correction form. The legal name change form can be downloaded from the Colorado State Judicial Branch.
Parentage (add or remove father/second parent)
Certified copies of corrections and testimonial letter
Complete this form to receive either:
- A certified copy of the birth correction form used to make a change to the birth certificate. This certified copy may be submitted to agencies requiring evidence that a change was made to the birth record.
- A certified testimonial letter to provide evidence of a change to a vital event or as evidence of what information is on file with the Colorado Office of the State Registrar.