Colorado Crisis Standards of Care
Governor's Expert Emergency Epidemic Response Committee (GEEERC) has revised the Crisis Standards of Care for Colorado. Sub-groups reviewed the content and solicited community feedback and engagement throughout the process. Crisis Standards of Care are guidelines for how the medical community should allocate scarce resources such as ventilators and intensive care unit beds in the extreme case when patient needs exceed the resources available.
The state hopes to avoid using “Crisis Standards of Care,” but must prepare for the possibility that the standards may be needed. Members of the public play the single most important role in helping hospitals avoid having to use “Crisis Standards of Care” by following state and local public health orders and appropriate physical distancing recommendations.
- Meeting Announcement: Medical Advisory Group of the Governor's Expert Emergency Epidemic Response Committee (GEEERC) - July 9
The GEEERC approved the following Crisis Standards of Care documents on 04/05/20. The documents were used to revise the full and final Crisis Standards of Care plan.
- Crisis Standards of Care Plan
- Crisis Standards of Care Hospitals
- Crisis Standards of Care – Palliative Care and Hospice Services
- Framework for Restarting Non-Emergent and Elective Procedures in Medical, Dental, Hospital, and Veterinarian Settings
- Crisis Standards of Care Activation Form - Please fill out this form when your facility or agency has activated Crisis Standards of Care.
- ACTIVATED April 8, 2020: CSC EMS
- ACTIVATED April 7, 2020: CSC PPE
- HAN Advisory - Crisis Standards of Care Activated for PPE and EMS (4/09/20)
If you do not currently receive Health Alert Network messages (HANs), please email firstname.lastname@example.org, who will provide instructions on how to register.
- Strategies for Managing Behavioral Health Standards of Care During a Crisis
- NASEM Rapid Consultation Letter on CSC
- Effective communication recommendations developed by Colorado Cross Disability Coalition
- Communication access recommendations for hospitals
- 2020 FACT SHEET ON CRISIS STANDARDS OF CARE