Colorado Coroners Standards and Training Board
This board establishes and maintains standards for coroner education, training and certification in Colorado.
Newly elected or appointed coroner
There are two requirements for newly elected or appointed coroners in Colorado.
Attend the first available New Coroner’s Institute, and
Within one year of election or appointment, obtain certification in basic medical-legal death investigation from a board approved provider or obtain approval from the board to use certification from an alternative provider.
Colorado Coroners Association: Colorado Certified Death Investigator
American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators: Registry Certification (basic) or Board Certification (advanced)
American Board of Pathology: Certified Forensic Pathologist
Complete and submit the Continuing Education Application form.
Coroners are required to complete 20 hours of continuing education every year –January to December and reported to the board no later than January 31st of the following year.
- Fill out a form and send it to the board for each program attended.
- For a conference, you must attach the complete agenda with the sessions you attended circled or highlighted and indicate the total number of hours attended.
- The board approved list of training providers and programs that can be used to satisfy the ongoing in-service or continuing education training are:
- Colorado Coroners Association
- American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences