Outdoor burning

There are three types of outdoor burning that may require a smoke permit:
  • Open burns are small burns typical for wood piles, vegetation and yard waste.
  • Prescribed fires are large burns for forest or range management. 
  • Air curtain destructors are outdoor incinerators for burning forest products and debris.
  • Find out if you need a permit. If so, obtain a permit and see current burn bans and other general information.
  • Open burns contain fewer than 50 piles, pile dimensions are no larger than 8' x 8' x 8', and each pile will be out cold at sunset.
  • Some burns don't require a permit, such as those for agriculture, cooking, recreation, and some training and private property household burns.
  • Get a permit for burns for forest or range management, either broadcast burns or larger pile burns.
  • Find out about the smoke management permitting process.
  • Air curtain destructors are subject to federal incinerator standards of 40 CFR Part 60 (Subpart CCCC, DDDD, EEEE, or FFFF).
  • Air curtain destructors are considered incinerators and are required to obtain a Construction Permit as the first step in obtaining a Title V Operating Permit. Apply for a Construction Permit by submitting the air curtain destructor APEN.
Information on the stakeholder process for potential revisions.