There are two types of outdoor burning that may require a smoke permit:
- Open burns are small burns typical for wood piles, vegetation and yard waste.
- Prescribed fires are large burns for forest or range management.
- Find out if you need a permit, obtain a permit, and see current burn bans and other general information.
- Open burns contain fewer than 50 piles, and each pile is small enough that it will be out cold at sunset.
- Some burns don't require a permit, such as those for agriculture, cooking, recreation, and some training and private property household burns.
- Get a permit for burns for forest or range management, either broadcast burns or larger pile burns.
- Find out about the smoke management permitting process.