The Colorado Cooking up Healthy Options with Plants (CHOP) program is underway! This three-year program for child care providers is funded by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Team Nutrition Training grant. The goal is to increase the consumption of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables and/or on-site garden produce by children in care. Hear about some of what we do from this Colorado Public Radio Broadcast: To Keep Kids from Dodging Veggies Colorado Wants to Hook 'em Young.
- Grow it, Try it, Like it! garden-based nutrition education curriculum
- Taste tests
- Local purchasing of in-season fruits and vegetables
- Staff culinary training and coaching
- Family and community activities
- On-site gardening activities
CHOP subgrant application
Subgrant sites for financial assistance to start an onsite garden have been chosen for the first grant year. Check back in October 2017 for next year's application.
Get tips for planting and maintaining your gardens and find delicious recipes for your harvest.
- Peaches, Tomatoes, Cantaloupe & Sweet Potatoes: August 14, 2017 | PowerPoint | Peach Salsa | HfHK Tomatoes Picture Cards | HfHK Tomatoes Activity Plan | HfHK Potato Picture Cards | HfHK Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes Activity Plan | HfHK Melon Picture Cards | HfHK Melon Activity Plan.
- Crookneck squash: July 17, 2017 | PowerPoint | Summer Squash Pancakes Recipe Card | Crookneck Squash Booklet.
- Carrots: June 19, 2017 | PowerPoint | Carrot Mac-n-Cheese | Double Up Colorado flyer | HfHK Carrots Activity Plan | Carrots Picture Cards.
- Strawberries & Beets: May 15, 2017 | PowerPoint | Recipe cards | Activity Plan | Picture Cards | Strawberry Patch: Grow It, Try It, Like It.
- Harvest for Healthy Kids and Cauliflower: April 17, 2017 | PowerPoint | Recipe cards.
- Spinach: March 20, 2017 | PowerPoint | Handouts: Grow It, Try It, Like It, The Basics | Grow It, Try It, Like It, Spinach Lane | Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Child Care Centers.
- Dietary Guidelines New Meal Pattern Food Safety in the Garden: February 21, 2017 | PowerPoint | Handouts: Food Safety in Classrooms, Food Safety in School Gardens, Safe Handling Guidelines for Farm Fresh Fruits and Vegetables.
- Planning your garden: January 24, 2017 | PowerPoint
- How to apply for a subgrant: November 3, 2016 | PowerPoint
- Video: How to Cut Melons.
- Video: Summer Squash Noodles.
- Video: Carrot Knife Skills.
- Video: Roasted Beets Cooking Tutorial.
- Video: Prep cauliflower for Cauliflower Rice.