Attributes of a sexually healthy person
A sexually healthy person is someone who:
- Makes decisions about sexual health that are in line with her or his personal identities, goals, values and beliefs.
- Makes healthy decisions based on access to accurate, affordable and comprehensive education, services and resources.
- Has the skills and knowledge to reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections, including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- Has the skills to build and maintain safe and healthy relationships.
- Has the skills and knowledge to decide when and if to have a family.
- Has the right to be free from oppression, exploitation and abuse.
- Advocates for his or her needs, wants, goals and values.
- Is an educated consumer of health information, resources and services.
- Can talk comfortably about sexual health with health professionals, teachers, partners, friends and family.
- Has the skills and motivation to disclose a present infection, if any, to her or his sex partners.
- Has a strong foundation for lifelong sexual health, whether or not he or she is currently sexually active.