Approved indoor burning devices
- Colorado approved masonry heaters.
- Colorado approved pellet stoves.
- EPA certified wood heaters, stoves and inserts.
Indoor wood burning restrictions must be followed in the restricted area unless the device is exempt. Restrictions apply November-March during air quality Action Days. The restricted area includes Denver, Boulder, Broomfield, Douglas, and Jefferson counties below 7,000 feet and areas west of Kiowa Creek in Adams and Arapahoe counties.
If any of the following are true, a device is exempt from burning restrictions:
- Device is on a list of certified or approved indoor burning equipment:
- Phase II EPA-certified stoves.
- Colorado-approved pellet stoves.
- Colorado-approved masonry heaters.
- Device is located above 7,000 feet.
- Device is not certified or approved, but indoor burning is the primary source of heat and an exemption letter has been issued from the state or local jurisdiction.