Low Emission Vehicle Standards
The executive order directs the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) to do the following:
- develop a rule to establish a Colorado Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) program, which incorporates the requirements of the California LEV program; and
- propose that rule to the Colorado Air Quality Control Commission (AQCC) during its August 2018 meeting for possible adoption into the Colorado Code of Regulations by December 30, 2018.
The executive order does not direct CDPHE to propose a zero emission vehicle program or to mandate the sale of electric vehicles.
CDPHE will propose Regulation Number 20, Low Emission Vehicles to the AQCC at their regular meeting on August 16. The proposed rule adheres closely to the directive in the Governor's Executive Order. It includes LEV standards for 2022 model year and later passenger cars and light- and medium-duty trucks. If adopted these standards would have the effect of preserving existing standards applicable in Colorado, and avoid any roll-back of these applicable standards by the federal government. The Proposed Rule does not create a Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program for Colorado. Similarly, it has no effect on heavy duty trucks or non-highway equipment, and no change to fuel specifications in this proposed rule.
The Colorado Air Quality Control Commission appreciates your interest in their consideration of the Low Emissions Vehicle Standards for Colorado. Please note that comments received prior to the official notice of rulemaking (anticipated to be issued by mid August) will be considered as "general public comment" and will not be included in the hearing record. In order to be included in the record, comments must be submitted during the noticed public comment period.
Please stay tuned for further instructions.
The AQCC will allow public comments on this new standard at its next monthly meeting:
Meeting to begin at 9:00 a.m.
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, Sabin/Cleere Conference Rooms
Denver, CO 80246
Should the Commission grant the August Request for Hearing to set the matter for a Public Rulemaking hearing, that hearing would be scheduled for November. Interested persons may petition the AQCC to become a party to the rulemaking.
- Executive Order B 2018 006: Maintaining progress on clean vehicles.
- Colorado Air Quality Control Commission (AQCC).
- Colorado Code of Regulations.
- California Low-Emission Vehicle Program (LEV).
- Regulations for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Passenger Cars and Trucks.
Doug Decker, Mobile Sources Program Manager