Surcharge is a levy on workers' compensation premiums paid by insurers who underwrite workers' compensation insurance coverage in Colorado and employers who are authorized to self-insure. Funds generated by the surcharge are used by the Division of Workers' Compensation to offset the costs of administering the system.
Surcharge is collected bi-annually from insurers, though self-insured employers are excluded from paying PCC surcharge since they are required to include cost containment (workplace safety) practices as part of their eligibility to self-insure.
For more information on surcharge collection, please contact the Division's surcharge officer Iliana Gallegos at 303-318-8767, or via email at email@example.com.
Calculate and save filing information for up to 30 days with the Division's free surcharge calculator and payment engine. Benefits to using the calculator include:
- Electronic filing report with automatic calculating features, thereby eliminating unnecessary errors
- Attestation checkbox instead of obtaining a notary and signatures
- Option of electronic check transfer or credit card payment
- Confirmation of payment to ensure timely receipt and proof of compliance
- Confirmation upon completion of the required report for filers who do not owe surcharge
Step-by-Step Instructions for Online Filing
Self Insurers must file and pay online. File and pay your surcharge today by visiting colorado.gov/WCsurcharge.
Filing & Payment Deadlines
|Assessment Period||Surcharge Rate||Reporting Deadline||Payment Deadline|
Iliana Gallegos, Surcharge Officer