Workers' Compensation


As of March 26, 2020, the Customer Service lobby is closed. The call center remains open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You may reach the Customer Service Unit at 303-318-8700, toll-free at 1-888-390-7936, or by emailing

All public and private employers in Colorado, with limited exceptions, must provide workers' compensation coverage for their employees if one or more full- or part-time persons are employed. A person hired to perform services for pay is presumed by law to be an employee. This includes all persons elected or appointed to public sector service and all persons appointed or hired by private employers for remuneration. There are a few exemptions to this definition.

Workers’ compensation insurance coverage is paid by the employer. Employers purchase insurance coverage through a commercial insurance carrier or, if qualified, through self-insurance programs. No portion of the premium may be deducted from an employee’s wages.

In Colorado, there are three ways in which an employer may obtain workers' compensation coverage:

  • Commercial Insurance;
  • Self-Funding (Individual); or
  • Self-Funding (Groups and/or Pools)

To learn more about self-insurance, please visit the Self-Insurance page

Employer Requirements

  • Obtain and maintain workers’ compensation insurance
  • Display a Notice to Employer of Injury poster at all times
  • Keep a record of all lost time injuries and occupational diseases
  • Report lost time injuries by filing the Employer's First Report of Injury with the insurer within 10 days (insurer sends form to Division)
  • File a Supplemental Report of Accident form with the insurer upon an employee's return to work or termination from employment

What You Need to Know

Maintain a Safe Working Environment 

Certification status is granted by the Premium Cost Containment Board to employers who can document that they have had a loss prevention/loss control program in effect for at least one year. Certified employers are eligible for up to a 10% reduction in their workers' compensation insurance premium. For more information, visit the Employer Safety & Loss Control page or contact Premium Cost Containment at 303-318-8644.

Injured Worker Exit Survey

Insurers are required to conduct a survey of injured workers' satisfaction within 30 days after a claim is closed. The survey asks injured workers to respond to questions on courtesy, promptness of medical care, promptness of handling and resolving the claim, as well as overall satisfaction with the insurer. Access the survey results>


Employer's First Report of Injury (PDF) | (Word)


Workers' Compensation Act poster (English) | (Spanish)
This poster provides information on potential workers' compensation entitlements and insurance coverage and must be displayed on the workplace premises.
Notice to Employer of Injury poster (English and Spanish) (PDF) | (Word)
This poster provides notice to employees of the requirement to report all work-related injuries to the employer and that benefits may be reduced if the injury results from use of a controlled substance. This poster must be displayed on the workplace premises and must be a minimum of 14 inches high and 11 inches wide. Each letter must measure 1/2" high.
Note: the documents above are set at 11" x 17".

Contact Us

Division of Workers' Compensation
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202-3626
303-318-8700 (Metro Area)
303-318-8710 (Fax)
1-888-390-7936 (Toll-Free)