Workforce Development Month Kicks Off With "Keep Colorado Working Day" on September 5
For immediate release
Date: September 3, 2018
Contact: Office of Government, Policy and Public Relations
Phone: Bill Thoennes at (303) 318-8004 or Cher Haavind at (303) 318-8003
Fax: (303) 318-8070
During September, state and county run employment offices called Workforce Centers are partnering with the Department of Labor and Employment to spotlight a variety of services and resources available to the state’s 2.7 million men and women in the state’s labor force and the 170,000 Colorado businesses that hire them.
With Governor Hickenlooper’s proclamation, September is Workforce Development Month and it officially kicks off on Wednesday, September 5, with Keep Colorado Working, a day focused on connecting job seekers with employers. During the day, there will be workshops, open houses, job fairs and more activities across the state. Among the events being offered are
Job Fairs and Hiring Events:
- Virtual Job Fair for Eagle County: Winter is just around the corner and many ski resorts, hotels, retailers and restaurants in Eagle County are seeking employees who are dependable, professional, courteous and have excellent people skills. These employers are offering weekend, full-time, part-time, seasonal and year around employment with benefits such as housing and/or a ski pass. Job seekers can apply for employment opportunities through October 5 at www.connectingcolorado.com and look for the Winter Virtual Job Fair icon on your home PC or smart device.
- The Montrose Workforce Center offers a job fair for the Express Employment placement firm on September 5. The recruiting event takes place at 504 N 1st Street in Montrose from 1 pm to 3 pm. A wide variety of jobs will be open for hire at this event and job interviews will take place on site. For more information about this recruitment event, call 970-249-7783.
On September 5, Workforce Centers in communities across Colorado will hold Customer Appreciation Day events and Open Houses.
- The Denver Workforce Center at Westside (1200 Federal Blvd) offers an Open House with resume critiquing available. Job seekers are encouraged to stop in to learn about the services provided free of charge and have an employment specialist review their résumés anytime between 5 and 6 pm.
- The Montrose Workforce Center (504 N 1st St, Montrose) will offer a continental breakfast from 8 am to 10 am as a way of saying thanks to the Montrose employer community. Local employers are invited to stop by for breakfast and to meet with staff.
- The Yuma Workforce Center (529 N Albany Street, Suite 1210) will hold a Customer Appreciation Day from 8 am to 5 pm. Job seekers are invited to bring their resumes along and job counselors will critique them and show the job seekers how they can be made stronger. For more information about the Yuma Customer Appreciation event, call (970) 848-3760.
- At the Sterling Workforce Center (100 Broadway Street, Suite 24), an Open House will be held from 12 noon to 1 pm and from 1 – 3 pm. Light refreshments will be served and job seekers and employers are invited to stop in and learn about the free services that are available.
- The Burlington Workforce Center (1490 Martin Avenue, Suite A) will provide an outreach day to the residents & businesses of Cheyenne county providing them information on the services available. The Customer Appreciation and Open House event runs from 10 am to 2 pm.
- Employment Services of Weld County (315 North 11th Avenue in Greeley) holds an Open House from 7:30 am to 9:00 am. Job seekers and business representatives are invited to stop in, grab a bite to eat, meet staff and socialize.
- The Limon Workforce Center (285 D Ave, Limon, CO holds an Open House from 8am – 11am.
- It’s an annual tradition at the Cortez Workforce Center (2208 E Main Street) and the Durango Workforce Center (331 South Camino Del Rio, Suite C). From 11am – 2pm on September 5, both offices will welcome customers – and soon-to-be customers – with hot dogs and root beer floats. Don’t let summer slip by without visiting the Cortez or Durango Workforce Centers for these events.
- Customer Appreciation Bar-B-Q: On September 5 from 11 am to 1 pm, the Canon City Workforce Center (3224 Independence Road welcomes everyone to a Bar-B-Q. Meet the staff and learn about how they can help your business or your career goals.
- The Salida Workforce Center (448 East 1st Street, #201) offers a Customer Appreciation Day from 11am – 1pm.
Over the next 18 days following the kickoff events, numerous activities are planned. Workforce Development Month will showcase how the Department of Labor and Employment and Workforce Centers across Colorado can help businesses and workers succeed.
A full calendar of events is available at the Department of Labor and Employment’s website, https://www.colorado.gov/cdle. Events will also be posted to Facebook (facebook.com/ColoradoLabor) and Twitter (twitter.com/ColoradoLabor). The numerous events and activities offered during Keep Colorado Working Day and throughout Workforce Development Month are designed to help keep employees and employers moving in the right direction.