Adopted Rule: Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards (COMPS) Order #36
In its annual wage order rulemaking, the Division of Labor Standards and Statistics in the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment has replaced Minimum Wage Order #35 with Colorado Overtime and Minimum Pay Standards Order (“COMPS Order”) #36. The COMPS Order, like the Division’s prior annually issued wage orders, is the source of critical Colorado wage rights and responsibilities beyond those provided by federal law: eligibility for the Colorado minimum wage; overtime pay for work past 40 hours per week and 12 hours per day; meal and rest breaks; and other employee and employer rights and responsibilities, such as what wage deductions are permissible, how hourly rates are calculated from non-hourly pay for overtime, and posting the Order’s provisions to employees for ease of access. The Division will release a Fact Sheet on the COMPS Order; however, available now is the Division’s Statement of Basis, Purpose, Authority, and Findings which offers more detail on the nature, basis for, and findings underlying all changes.
The public hearing on COMPS Order #36 was held on Monday, December 16, 2019 at 3:00 pm at the Colorado Division of Labor Standards and Statistics, 12th Floor Conference Room, 633 17th Street, Denver, CO 80202. The hearing was transcribed, and a draft of the transcript is publicly available, in addition to all the comments received, and the transcript of the Division’s pre-rulemaking public meeting which took place on August 28, 2019 (scroll down to find these documents).
Following is the complete schedule of the rule-making process, in accordance with the Colorado Administrative Procedure Act, C.R.S. § 24-4-101, et seq. (2019).
|Pre-rulemaking comment period:||Wednesday, March 6, 2019|
|Pre-rulemaking public testimony:||Wednesday, August 28, 2019|
|Proposed rule filed:||Friday, November 15, 2019|
|Official publication of proposed rule:||Friday, November 25, 2019|
|Public hearing:||Monday, December 16, 2019|
|Comment deadline:||Tuesday, December 31, 2019|
|Adoption of final rule:||Wednesday, January 22, 2020|
|Effective date of rule:||Monday, March 16, 2020, except
July 1, 2020 for new exempt salaries
|On the rule-making process:||Email firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Press inquiries:||Email email@example.com|
|Employer or employee questions on substance of COMPS rules:||Call (303-318-8441) or Email firstname.lastname@example.org|
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards Order (COMPS Order) #36 (2020)
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards (COMPS Order) #36 (2020) Redline
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards Order (COMPS Order) #36 Statement of Basis, Purpose. Authority, & Findings
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards Order (COMPS Order) #36 Public Hearing Notice
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards Order (COMPS Order) #36 Public Hearing Transcript
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards (COMPS Order) #36 Transcript of SPEAK Public Meeting August 28, 2019
- NEW Colorado Overtime & Minimum Pay Standards (COMPS) Order #36 Poster (effective 3/16/2020)
AMENDED MINIMUM WAGE ORDER 35
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2020
Pursuant to Section 15, Article XVIII of the Colorado Constitution, these temporary rules increase the state minimum to $12.00 per hour, effective January 1, 2020, and conform the Colorado Minimum Wage Order #35, 7 CCR 1103-1, to statutory changes to C.R.S. Title 8.
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Amended Minimum Wage Order 35
- 7 CCR 1103-1 Amended Minimum Wage Order 35 Statement of Basis and Purpose
Colorado Division of Labor Standards and Statistics | 303-318-8441 | Contact Us