Wheat Ridge Regional Center

The Wheat Ridge Regional Center opened on July 1, 1912. When the facility first opened, it housed children between the ages of five and 14, and later began supporting individuals ranging from three months old to 70 years old. 

In the 1980s the philosophy of services for people with developmental disabilities changed to focus on community-based services. Wheat Ridge Regional Center was given funds to build 14 new group homes off the main facility campus in the community. Wheat Ridge Regional Center also began to downsize its population in the 1980s and 1990s. The downsizing was a direct link to many of the Community Center Boards offering smaller, more individualized settings for the developmentally disabled. Residents work with their treatment team to develop individualized programs to assist the residents in reaching their own goals.