Division of Youth Services Records Unit
Do you need to make a request for youth records? After reading the information provided below, please send your request to the Division of Youth Services Records Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When a request for a record is received for any youth currently residing in, or having previously resided in a DYS placement, the information request is processed through the Division of Youth Services Records Unit.
There are six categories of information that can be requested for each youth. You may request one area, or all six. The release of each of the six types of information is regulated through a signed authorized release form. The form(s) must be completed in their entirety for each category of records you are requesting or the Records Unit Team will be unable to process the request.
The six categories of records are:
- Authorization for disclosure of confidential education records
- Authorization for disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI)—Mental Health
- Authorization for disclosure of Protected Health Information—Medical
- Authorization for disclosure of Protected Health Information—Psychotherapy Notes
- Authorization for disclosure of Confidential Substance Abuse Treatment Records
- Consent for the release of privileged and confidential information (general youth file information)
Tips for completing a records request:
- The “client name” on each form should always list the name of the youth whom you are requesting to receive records.
- The youth and the legal guardian must sign the release form if the youth his under the age of 18.
- The youth’s complete address must be listed on the release form. This includes youth that are residing in a youth center.
- Dates on the form are to be filled out as month/date/year.
- On the substance abuse treatment record release form the box confirming the youth received a copy of the records release form must be checked or the DYS Records Unit will be unable to process the request.
- On the confidential education records disclosure form where it states, “the following education records may be disclosed (be specific)” please include the names of the specific education records you are requesting. Examples are student transcripts, IEP’s, and test scores.
- Email the completed records request form(s) to email@example.com
Is there a charge to receive youth records?
Yes, on Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018, the Division of Youth Services implemented a records request fee schedule. You can access the fee schedule by clicking here. If you would like to pay via credit card, click here.
Questions? Here is how you can you reach the DYS Records Unit:
You can contact the Records Unit at 303-866-7368 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org