Lincoln Park is part of the Capitol Complex, made up of various State-owned and -operated buildings between 16th Avenue on the north and 13th Avenue on the south, Broadway on the west to Grant St. on the east. Many people mistakenly believe Lincoln Park is part of Civic Center Park because they are adjacent to one another; however, Lincoln Park is owned and maintained by the State of Colorado and Civic Center Park is owned and maintained by the City & County of Denver. Both parks and the capitol itself are part of Denver's Civic Center, which was officially recognized by the National Park Service as a National Historic Landmark in April 2013.
Lincoln Park most notably contains the Veteran's Memorial on the east side of the park, and a full-size replica of the Liberty Bell. The replica was one of 53 replicas cast in France in 1950 and donated to the U.S. government by "American industry and free enterprise." One went to each state, plus the District of Columbia. The remaining two bells have not been located. The bell once occupied a first-floor niche of the capitol. In 1974, it was placed on East 14th Avenue and Sherman Street on the southwest corner of the old Colorado Historical Museum. A masonry shrine was built to enclose the bell. The shrine was constructed as a joint, nonprofit effort of labor and management. In 1986, Senate Joint Resolution 86-9 authorized the relocation of the Liberty Bell to Lincoln Park, west of the capitol. The bell was relocated to commemorate the 210th anniversary of the independence of the United States.
Organizations or individuals who wish to use the park for a public event must obtain a permit to do so. For information on scheduling events, or to fill out an application for an event permit on the capitol grounds or in Lincoln Park, click here.