Open Burn Regulations

Burn Permits

It is important to remember you must have a burn permit and you need to call the Fire District at (303) 659-4101 prior to lighting your burn. No burning is permitted during burn bans or restrictions as determined by the County Sheriff.

Adams County

The Burn Season runs from April 1 through October 31 each year.  In order to burn you must apply for a Burn Permit through the State of Colorado Air Pollution Control Division.

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
Air Pollution Control Division APCD-SS-B1
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO  80246-1530

Phone:  (303) 692-3204

Fax:  (303) 782-0278

Division Email:

You can download a Burn Application by clicking on the following link:

Burn Permit Application

Weld County

The Burn Season runs all twelve months of the year. In order to burn you must apply for a burn permit through Weld County.

Weld County Health Department
1555 N. 17th Avenue
Greeley, CO  80631
Phone:  (970) 304-6410 Ext. 2227    

Fax:  (970) 304-6412

Recreational Fires

A recreational fire is an outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish, where the fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and has a total area of 3 ft or less in diameter and 2 ft or less in height for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.  Bonfires require a special permit. You need to contact the Fire District at (303) 659-4101 for further information.