Welcome to the new development page where you can find information for new residential and commercial projects. Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue serves the Town of Bennett, Watkins, Unincorporated Adams County, and Unincorporated Arapahoe County, and works with all three jurisdictions for new developments. Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue has adopted the 2012 edition of the International Fire Code. Each jurisdiction in our District adopts model codes with or without amendments, which we follow and enforce for every new development received in our district.
The 2012 IFC establishes minimum roadway and driveway requirements. Arapahoe County adopted Appendix R, in lieu of the IFC requirements, and we enforce those guidelines and rules to the applicant's in Arapahoe County. Please be aware that the guidelines ore requirements for your project may vary depending on what county or municipality that you are building in, however the submission process is the same. T
The following information below includes information regarding new residential developments, and what the process is to complete your project.
1. The applicant (homeowner and/or builder) will need to contact whichever jurisdiction they are planning on building in. (Adams, Arapahoe, or Town of Bennett).
2. The applicant should then contact Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue and inform us of the new project in our district. Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue will then work directly with the applicant to assist them through the permitting process.
3. The applicant will then need to complete the required documents, and turn them into the Fire District at the main office office located at 355 4th Street in Bennett.
4. The applicant will need to fill out the following documents:
- Fire Service Application
- Submit Fee Payment (fees will vary depending on project)
- Submit a detailed site plan including all dimensions, measurements, road base content, gates, etc.
- Adams County road requirements (IFC, Appendix D)
- Arapahoe County road requirements (Appendix R)
5. Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue will review your site plan once submitted. All site plans will need to be approved before moving forward with your project. Please be aware that if you receive an email back stating that your site plan is not approved, it is typically due to incorrect or missing dimensions on the site plan.
6. Once your site plan is approved and all other documents are turned into the main office, you will receive a letter of approval that you will need to take back to whichever county or municipality that you will be building in.
7. Once the county or municipality receives your letter of approval, you will obtain a building permit from them.
8. Once you have completed your project, you will need to contact Bennett-Watkins Fire Rescue directly and schedule a final inspection. This final inspection is seperate from the final inspection completed by the county, and will include inspecting your new driveway and ensuring that the dimensions are in compliance with fire code as stated on your approved site plan, your address is clearly visible from the road with the proper dimensions, and that your road base is class 6 or better with the proper depth and compaction.
9. Once your final inspection is completed, we will sign off on your permit so that you may obtain your certificate of occupancy.
For commercial projects, the process for submitting for plan review is similar to above, however; there may be additional requirements or submittal documents needed to fully capture the scope of the project, building type, and use or occupancy. Commercial projects often have additional code related requirements beyond those required for a residence, which will be reviewed at the time of submission.
Informational documents and submission information can be located at the bottom of this page in PDF format.
Life Safety Assistant
355 4th Street
Bennett, CO 80102
Phone: (303) 644-3572
|Fire Service Development Application.pdf||182.97 KB|
|Fire Department Road Access - Arapahoe County.pdf||310.3 KB|
|Fire Department Road Access - Adams County.pdf||1.37 MB|
|BWFR Letterhead.FireHydrantSpecs.12.20.18.pdf||400.48 KB|
|General Ordering Instructions - KNOX Products.pdf||133.21 KB|
|Fee Schedule 2017.pdf||3.4 MB|