About These Records
The Colorado State Archives holds a variety of resources, which document the legislative history of the state and can help explain the intent behind Colorado law.
Primary, textual sources
- 1876-present Bill Backs (includes all versions of the bill as it passed through the General Assembly)
- 1997-2014 House and Senate Bills available online
- Before 1973 No Committee Summaries were produced
- 1973-present Paper versions
- 2000-2014 Committee Summaries available online (Use this Guide to Finding Committee Summaries)
Colorado Revised Statutes
- 2013 & 1963 Bound versions
- 2014 Colorado Revised Statutes Annotated available online
Session Laws of Colorado
- 1877-2014 Bound versions available at State Archives
- 1861-1992 Session Laws available online through the William A. Wise Law Library (CU-Boulder)
- 1993-2014 Session Laws available online through the Office of Legislative Legal Services
House and Senate Journals
- 1861-2014 Paper versions (some journals missing)
- 1998-2014 House and Senate Journals available online
After passage of the Colorado Sunshine Law in 1973, Legislative Committee Hearings and Floor Sessions were to be recorded and made available to the public. These audio recordings are available for research purposes at the Colorado State Archives.
Please note that due to an unusually high number of audio requests and limited staff, current turnaround time for analog to digital conversion is 12-16 weeks. (posted May 31, 2016).
- 1973-2001 Find out about requesting a recording
- 2002-2011 Listen at the State Archives (by appointment only) OR Find out about requesting a recording
- 2012-present Listen online through the General Assembly webpage