How to Navigate the Archives Website
This tutorial is designed to provide an overview of the resources and services available at the Colorado State Archives website.
Here are a few tips:
- To access information about the collections listed on the website, hover your mouse over the "Menu" link located on the black menu bar towards the top of the page.
- When the drop down menu appears, click on “Public Records.”
- Click on any of the links listed on the Public Records page: Genealogy, History, Legal Records, Legislative Records, Military Records and Water Records.
- You can also view our handy Archives Finding Aid Quick Index.
- When you click on any of the links listed on the Public Records page, you will discover the records and collections that can be accessed through the website.
- For instance, under Genealogy, you can choose to view information about birth records by simply clicking on the corresponding link.
- When viewing any page listed under the Public Records link, you will be able to submit a record request electronically.
- Before submitting a request, read the webpage completely in order to avoid delays in processing your request.
- Towards the bottom of the page, click on the “Request a Record” link and you will be prompted to complete a form.
- Fill out the form completely with your contact information and the request information.
- Once you click “Submit” you will be contacted for payment.
- Please allow 2 weeks to respond to requests.
- From the homepage, use the Alpha Index to find pages on various subjects.
- Click on any link to be directed to that page.
- From the “Menu” link located on the black menu bar towards the top of the page, select “Archives Search.”
- Type the last name, then type the first name into the “Name” box (separated by a comma).
- You can also enter the year, record type or county to limit your search.
- Click “Search” to get a list of results.