History

State Board of Stock Inspection Commissioners (Brand Board)

Brand Inspection Division

The Brand Board has a long and proud history:

  • Formed by Colorado’s livestock industry in approximately 1865, when Colorado was still a territory
  • Became a state agency in 1903
  • Became a division of the Colorado Department of Agriculture in the early 1970s
  • Is comprised of 5 members who are appointed by the Governor.

Brand inspection serves several important purposes, including (1) deterring theft, (2) facilitating commerce, (3) protecting livestock producers and lenders, (4) providing accurate tracking of livestock movements for use in disease traceability, (5) facilitating the return of stolen or stray livestock, and (6) helping keep the livestock industry healthy and viable.

Some facts about the Brand Inspection Division:

  • The Division has 68 men and women serving as Brand Inspector Supervisors, Brand Inspectors, and administrative personnel in 10 supervisory districts throughout Colorado. They cover 104,000 square miles.
  • The Division is 100% cash funded by the livestock industry (from brand assessments and inspection fees) and has an annual budget of over $4 million.
  • Division personnel annually travel over 1 million miles and inspect over 4 million head of livestock.
  • The Division currently administers over 34,000 Colorado brands.

 

Brand Commissioners

Ed PaulG Earl BrownJay Rowe

Gary Shoun

Rick Wahlert