Moffat County Sheriff's Office SHERIFF KEVIN (KC) HUME
800 West 1st Street, Ste. 100
Craig, Colorado 81625
(970) 824.4495 Phone
(970) 824.9780 Fax
Moffat County Sheriff’s Office News Release
07/14/2020 The Office of the Moffat County Sheriff, in cooperation with state and federal agencies in a cooperative effort to prevent potential wildland fires, has placed restrictions on open burning within un-incorporated areas of Moffat County.
Moffat County Sheriff Kevin (KC) Hume requested Stage 1 restrictions on open burning from the Moffat County Commissioners on all un-incorporated private and state lands in Moffat County, effective July 15, 2020 at 00:01 am. Due to the unseasonably warm and dry weather patterns the fire danger is very high in Moffat County. The concerns are that any fire could jeopardize life and or property.
Stage I Restrictions: Prohibits the following activities:
1. Open burning, excepting fires and campfires within permanently constructed fire grates in developed campgrounds and picnic grounds, charcoal grills and wood burning stoves at private residences in areas cleared of all flammable materials, and those other exceptions/exemptions as noted in Section 9 of Moffat County Ordinance 13-03.
2. Using explosive material: (i.e.: fireworks, blasting caps, tracer rounds, exploding targets or any incendiary device which may result in the ignition of flammable material.)
3. Welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame; except within an area that is barren or cleared of all flammable material at least 10 feet on all sides from the equipment and possess a chemical pressurized five pound fire extinguisher and one round pointed shovel with an overall length of at least 36 inches. The extinguisher and shovel may be kept with the welding supplies but must be readily available for quick use.
4. Outdoor smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
5. Operating or using any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order.
Please contact the
Moffat County Sheriff’s Office at (970) 824-4495 for further information.
Attention: Community Members who wish to hold public gathering events.
In order to most effectively serve the community and process requests efficiently the following steps are required:
Review the attached documentation and guidance on current Public Health Orders, Executive Orders and County Variance letters
Prepare a detailed and concise Mitigation Protocol Document following current guidance to protect the public from the spread of COVID19.
Once the mitigation plans are submitted, Public Health will review the event and be in touch with follow up questions, comments or suggestions. Plans MUST be submitted to the DropBox and reviewed by Public Health prior to Public Health commenting or making suggestions.
Current Approved Moffat County COVID19 Public Health Order Variances:
Would you like to help shape the direction of the Moffat County Fair?
The Board of County Commissioners
are accepting letters of interest from individuals who would like
to serve on the Fair Board (4 seats to be filled).
Letters of interest will be accepted until filled
(Please include contact information) Please mail to:
Moffat County Commissioners
Attn: Erin Miller
221 W. Victory Way, Suite 130 Craig, CO 81625;
email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 824-9191 For more information call 824-5517 or 824-9183