Spinal Cord Injury Waiver (SCI)

A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases.  These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists. 

The waiver for Persons with a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) is geographically limited to the Denver Metro Area, is limited to 120 participants per year and there is no waitlist. In 2020, there will be an independent evaluation presented to the State legislature that will measure the health outcomes, quality of life, and cost expenditures for waiver participants receiving acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic services through the SCI waiver. Based on this report, the legislature will determine whether to continue these services or expand them.

Current documents open for public comment for the SCI Waiver

Who Qualifies?

The Home and Community-Based Services Waiver for Persons with a Spinal Cord Injury helps individuals with spinal cord injuries remain in a community setting.

To qualify for the SCI waiver, you must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Have a diagnosis of a spinal cord injury
  • Have been determined to have a significant functional impairment
  • Have been determined to be financially eligible
  • Reside in one of the following Denver Metro Area counties:

o Adams
o Arapahoe
o Denver
o Douglas
o Jefferson

Benefits and Services

Additionally, this waiver offers Complementary and Integrative Health Services:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What if I am currently on the Home and Community-Based Services Elderly Blind and Disabled waiver? Can I transfer over to the SCI waiver?
Yes.  Please contact your case manager to let them know you are interested in the SCI waiver.  If you meet the eligibility requirements for the SCI waiver, your case manager will discuss with you the specific transfer requirements for their case management agency.

2. What does the transfer process look like?
After you have contacted your case manager and expressed an interest in enrolling on the SCI waiver, your case manager will mail you a Voluntary Withdrawal Form. This form states that you are requesting to withdraw from the current waiver you are enrolled in and want to be transferred to the SCI Waiver.  Please sign and return the Voluntary Withdrawal Form as soon as possible.  Your case manager will also send your physician a Physician Medical Information Page (PMIP) form to verify your diagnosis of spinal cord injury.

3. Do I need to have another assessment done by my case manager?
After your case manager receives both the Voluntary Withdrawal Form and Physician Medical Information Page, they will contact you to discuss any changes in your needs since your last assessment.  Your case manager will be able to confirm this over the phone if your last assessment was completed within the past six months.  If you have not had an assessment in the last six months, your case manager will need to schedule a new face-to-face assessment to verify your needs.

4. When does enrollment start?
Enrollment for the SCI waiver started July 1, 2012.

5. Who is providing Complementary and Integrative Health Services?
Currently, there are two providers for these services:

Spinal Cord Injury Recovery Project  www.scirecoveryproject.org
866 East 78th Avenue
Denver, CO 80229

Chanda Plan Foundation  www.chandaplanfoundation.org
8725 W. 14th Avenue, Suite 170
Lakewood, CO 80215

Contact your case manager for information and availability for these providers and any new providers that may become available.

Waiver Charts

ICD-10 Transition for SCI Waiver Fact Sheet - October 2015

How can I participate with other stakeholders on policy issues related to the Spinal Cord Injury Waiver?

How to Apply

If you are already enrolled in Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program), contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to start the waiver application process.

If you are NOT yet enrolled in Health First Colorado, apply now.

If you have more questions about this program please contact your local Single Entry Point Agency or the Member Contact Center.