Medicare Savings Program - Qualifying Individual (QI-1) Program
Medicare Savings Programs (MSP) help people with limited income and resources pay for some or all of their Medicare premiums and may also pay their Medicare deductibles and co-insurance. There are four different types of Medicare Savings Programs, this page focuses on the Qualifying Individual (QI-1) Program.
If you have income from working, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.
- Qualifying Individual (QI-1)
- Individual monthly income limit: $1,426
- Married couple monthly income limit: $1,923
The resource limit is $9,230 for one person and $14,600 for a married couple.
Countable resources include:
- Money in a checking or savings account
- Money in an IRA, annuity or trust
Countable resources don't include:
- Your home
- One car
- Burial plot
- Up to $1,500 for burial expenses if you have put that money aside
- Other household and personal items
Benefits and Services
- Qualifying Individual Program pays for your:
- Part B premiums only
You are still responsible for your Medicare deductibles and co-insurance.
How To Apply
- First, you must be eligible for or receiving Medicare.
- Second, contact your county of residence's Department of Human Services to apply.
Where Do I Get These Services?
- You can visit doctors who accept Medicare
- These programs do not provide Medicaid benefits; this means that even if a doctor accepts Medicaid and provides you medical services, Medicaid will not pay for any claims.
Program Contact: Sharon.Brydon@state.co.us, 303-866-5402