Elderly, Blind, & Disabled Waiver (EBD)
A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and sometimes have waitlists.
The Home and Community-Based Services Waiver for persons who are Elderly, Blind, or Disabled (EBD) provides assistance to people ages 65 and older who have a functional impairment or are blind, and to people ages 18-64 who are physically disabled or have a diagnosis of HIV or AIDS, and require long-term supports and services in order to remain in a community setting. Effective April 1, 2014 this program incorporated services formerly provided under the Persons Living with AIDS/HIV (PLWA) program.
- EBD services work with or add to the services that you receive through the Health First Colorado State Plan and other federal, state and local public programs.
- EBD also works with the supports that families and communities provide.
- If you receive services through the EBD waiver, you are also eligible for all Health First Colorado covered services except nursing facility and long-term hospital care.
You must meet the following financial and program criteria to access services under this program. To use waiver benefits, you must also be willing to receive services in your home or community.
Level of Care
- You require long-term support services at a level comparable to services typically provided in a nursing facility.
- You must be 18 years or older.
- If you are between the ages of 18 and 64, you must be blind or have a physical disability, or have a diagnosis of HIV or AIDS.
- If you are age 65 and older, you must have been determined to have a significant functional impairment.
- Your income must be less than three times the current Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) limit per month. (See SSI website for current information)
- For a single person, your countable resources must be less than $2,000.
- For a couple, the countable resources must be less than $3,000.
- If you do not meet these financial requirements, you may be eligible through the Health First Colorado Buy-In Program for Working Adults with Disabilities.
Benefits and Services
If you are enrolled in the EBD waiver, you will receive regular Health First Colorado benefits. Additionally, you will also receive the following services specific to the EBD waiver:
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Care Facilities
- Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services
- Home Delivered Meals
- Homemaker Services
- Home Modifications
- In-Home Support Services
- Life Skills Training
- Medication Reminder
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Peer Mentorship
- Personal Care Services
- Personal Emergency Response System
- Respite Care Services
- Transition Set Up
How to Apply
If you are already enrolled in Health First Colorado, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to start the waiver application process.
If you are NOT yet enrolled in Health First Colorado, you can apply now.