Children's Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (CHCBS)
A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you (or your child) could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
The Children’s Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (CHCBS) is available for children with significant medical needs and who are at risk for institutional care in an acute hospital or skilled nursing facility.
- Services work with or add to the services that are available to your child through the Health First Colorado State plan and other federal, state, and local public programs.
- CHCBS also works with the supports that families and communities provide.
- If your child receives services through the CHCBS waiver, your child is also eligible for all Health First Colorado covered services.
Your child must meet the following financial and program criteria to access services under this program. To use waiver benefits, your child must also be willing to receive services in your home or community.
Level of Care
- Your child must need long-term support services at a level comparable to services typically provided in a skilled nursing facility and/or an acute hospital.
- Your child must meet the Social Security Administration (SSA) definition of disability.
- Your child must not have reached your 18th birthday.
- Your child requires medical care that would typically be provided in either a skilled nursing facility and/or an acute hospital.
- Your child's income must be less than $2,205 per month and his or her countable resources must be less than $2,000.
- Due to your income and/or resources, your child would not be otherwise eligible for Health First Colorado.
Benefits and Services
How to Apply
To start the waiver application process, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) Agency or Community Centered Board (CCB). There are also other case management agencies available, contact the Member Contact Center for more information.