Brain Injury Waiver (BI)
A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
This program helps people with a Brain Injury who need extra support to live in their communities. You can get these extra services along with your regular Health First Colorado benefits. Nursing facility and long-term hospital care are not covered while you get waiver services. Getting waiver services won’t change supports that you may get from other public programs or from your family or community.
You must meet financial and program requirements to get HCBS-BI waiver services. You must also be willing to get services in your home or community.
Level of Care Requirement
- You must need long-term services like you would get in a nursing home or a hospital.
- You must be 16 years or older.
- You must have a brain injury.
- Your brain injury occurred before your 65th birthday.
- Your diagnosis must fit within certain categories. Contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to find out more.
- Your income must be less than $2,205 per month.
- If you are single, your countable resources must be less than $2,000. If you are married, your countable resources must be less than $3,000.
Benefits and Services
- Adult Day Services
- Behavioral Management
- Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS)
- Day Treatment
- Home Modification
- Independent Living Skills Training (ILST)
- Mental Health Counseling
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Personal Care
- Personal Emergency Response System
- Respite Care
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies/Assistive Devices
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Supported Living Program
- Transitional Living Program
ICD-10 Transition for BI Waiver Fact Sheet - October 2015
How to Apply
If you are already enrolled in Health First Colorado, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to start the waiver application process.
If you are NOT yet enrolled in Health First Colorado, you can apply now.