The Governor’s Health Fellows Program seeks to develop the next generation of public health, healthcare, and human services leaders in Colorado, reflecting academic and geographic diversity, who can be empowered through experiential learning to impact positive change across sectors. This is an unpaid fellowship, with a Spring program designed for graduate and professional students and a Summer which additionally caters to undergraduates. Both Fellowships offer a single placement in either the Governor’s Office or a State Agency. Recent graduates and healthcare professionals seeking government experience are also encouraged to apply.
Fellowships will be offered within the Colorado Governor’s Office (Legal Counsel, Legislative Affairs, Policy & Research) and State Executive Agencies (Department of Health Care Policy & Financing, Department of Human Services, Department of Public Health and Environment, and Division of Insurance). Applicants located outside of the Front Range may have the opportunity to be based instead at Executive Agency regional offices.
The Governor’s Health Fellowship will involve:
- Placement with designated mentor-supervisor, with substantive daily assignments and meaningful long-term projects
- Participation in cabinet-level working group, with final capstone project deliverable to Executive Leadership as a collaborative effort with fellowship cohort
- Monthly brown bag lunches with Governor’s Cabinet and senior staff, state legislators, regulators, industry partners, academics, and community officials
- Quarterly field visits to industry sites
- Process improvement training, with white-belt lean certification
Requirements for participation:
- Commitment to consistent weekly hours based on individual schedules
- Spring Program: Commitment to minimum 16 hours/week, preferred January 8th through May 2018, though flexible with hours determined with your supervisor.
- Summer Program: Commitment to a consistent weekly schedule of a minimum 20 hours/week, working at least 3 consecutive hours per day in the office, for 12 weeks, during the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Excellent writing, communication, and proofreading skills
- Strong individual initiative/work ethic
- Interest in public service and issues relating to health (including but not limited to environmental health, public health, human services, health insurance, and healthcare management and financing)
- Ability to responsibly handle and participate in confidential work
- Strong commitment to good government and nonpartisanship
The Governor's Office embraces diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or physical ability. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and those with limited prior political involvement are encouraged to apply. We are actively seeking Fellows with relevant experience in policy, law, and management as well as public health, biological sciences, medicine, human services, and insurance. The Governor's Office and the State of Colorado are equal opportunity employers.
We are now accepting applications for our Spring 2018 Health Fellows program. The deadline for priority consideration is Friday, November 17, 2017 at 5 pm, and Fellows will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Summer 2018 applications are expected to open in February 2018. Check back on this website for a specific date. Please contact us directly if financial or academic concerns require earlier consideration.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a complete fellowship application, cover letter, resume, and a two-page essay on why this fellowship program aligns with your background, future professional goals, and interest in health policy and management via email as separate pdf files to email@example.com.
Download the Health Fellowship application