State Physical Therapy Board: Continuing Professional Competency
Michael Reynolds, Division Wide Programs Manager
All Physical Therapists must begin to demonstrate Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) to practice physical therapy in the state of Colorado after renewing their initial license. If your first license was issued during the middle of the DORA license cycle, you do not have to start working on your CPC requirements until AFTER you renew your license for the first time.
**The new CPC requirements for Physical Therapist Assistants begin after the renewal of their license in 2020, or upon the first renewal of an original license thereafter**
Physical therapists must satisfy the requirements of CPC in order to renew or reinstate a license to practice physical therapy by one of the following three methods:
- Participation in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program
- Complete the Reflective Self-Assessment.
- Establish learning goals and create a learning plan to accomplish the learning goals.
- Accrue 30 Professional Development Activity (PDA) points in line with your learning plan and retain documentation of the completed activities.
- Qualifying for Deemed Status
- You may qualify for Deemed Status at the time you renew your license if you participated in a program of CPC through employment with a state of Colorado agency, an accrediting body recognized by the board, or other entity approved by the board; and you were in compliance or on track to meet compliance with that program during the entire 2 year DORA renewal cycle immediately preceding the renewal of your license.
- Receiving a military exemption
- Licensees who have been called to federally funded active duty for more than 120 days for the purpose of serving in a war, emergency, or contingency may request an exemption for the continuing professional competency requirements for the 2-year renewal period that falls within the period of service or within six months following the completion of service. To apply for a military exemption, visit www.colorado.gov/dora-military/renewal-fee-waiver.
Details about how to meet CPC requirements by the three methods above can be found in the CPC Program Manual and other documents listed in the Resources section below. Audits of compliance will be conducted after a renewal period ends.
**Audits of compliance will be conducted after a renewal period ends**
After selecting the document link, be sure to select the download icon to use the PDF fillable form.
- CPC Program Manual - this document explains, in detail, continuing professional competency requirements and the CPD Program.
- Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT) - use this form at the beginning of each renewal cycle to reflect on your professional knowledge and skills. Using the results, you will create learning goals to be completed during the renewal period.
- Learning Plan Form - use this form to plan and record the completion of your Professional Development Activities (PDA) and the learning goals that you created for the CPD Program. If you are selected for an audit, you will provide this form (along with documentation as described in the PDA list).
- Professional Development Activities (PDA) List - use this document to determine if a learning activity is a Category I, Category II, or Category III activity; how many points that activity is worth and the documentation required for that activity.
- Board Standards for CE Activities - this document lists the standards that a learning activity must have to be a Category I activity in the CPD program.
- Reading a Scientific Article or Chapter in a Professional Book - use this form to claim PDA credit for Category II Points, after reading a scientific article or a chapter in a professional book. Complete one form per article/chapter and retain for your records. All fields are required for this form to be considered complete. This form is to be submitted only upon request.
Continued Competency/Continued Professional Development
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-869-0329 | Email: email@example.com