State Physical Therapy Board: Continuing Professional Competency
Jason D. Sunstrom, Division Wide Programs and Systems Director
Pursuant to section 12-41-114.6, C.R.S., all physical therapists in Active status shall maintain and demonstrate continuing professional competency in order to renew, reinstate, or reactivate a license to practice physical therapy in the state of Colorado. Physical therapist assistants are not required to participate in continuing professional competency.
Effective after the completion of the first renewal of a license, physical therapists must demonstrate continuing professional competency in order to renew a license by:
- Participation in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program,
- Qualifying for Deemed Status, or
- Receiving a military exemption.
Audits of compliance will be conducted after a renewal period ends.
- Informational Video Coming Soon!
After clicking on the document title, be sure to click on the download icon in order to use the PDF fillable form.
- CPC Program Overview - this flowchart will help you visualize the steps of the CPD Program.
- CPC Program Manual - this document explains, in detail, continuing professional competency requirements and the CPD Program.
- Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT) - use this form at the beginning of each renewal cycle to reflect on your professional knowledge and skills. Using the results, you will create learning goals to be completed during the renewal period.
- Learning Plan Form - use this form to plan and record the completion of your Professional Development Activities (PDA) and the learning goals that you created for the CPD Program. If you are selected for an audit, you will provide this form (along with documentation as described in the PDA list).
- Professional Development Activities (PDA) List - use this document to determine if a learning activity is a Category I, Category II, or Category III activity; how many points that activity is worth and the documentation required for that activity.
- Board Standards for CE Activities - this document lists the standards that a learning activity must have to be a Category I activity in the CPD program.
- Reading a Scientific Article or Chapter in a Professional Book - use this form to claim PDA credit for Category II Points, after reading a scientific article or a chapter in a professional book. Complete one form per article/chapter and retain for your records. All fields are required for this form to be considered complete. This form is to be submitted only upon request.
Calendar of Events
Continued Competency/Continued Professional Development
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-869-0329 | Email: email@example.com