You must posses a valid Colorado driver's license to apply for or add a motorcycle endorsement
- Pass the motorcycle written exam
- Purchase a motorcycle instruction permit
- Schedule and pass a motorcycle drive skills test
- Purchase a new driver's license to add motorcycle endorsement at a driver's license office
- Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course
- Present your original Motorcycle Safety Foundation card in a driver's license office and purchase a new driver's license to the add motorcycle endorsement
Two types of motorcycle endorsements are available
- "M" - allows you to drive two and three wheel motorcycles
- "3" - allows you to only drive three wheel motorcycles
You cannot add a motorcycle endorsement by mail, online, or over the phone. You must visit a driver's license office to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Colorado driver's license.
Notes: Per Colorado law, minors under 18 are required to purchase and hold a motorcycle instruction permit for 12 months before adding the motorcycle endorsement to their license. Minors under 16 must be under the direct supervision of the MSF motorcycle instructor at all times while operating a motorcycle.