Gestational diabetes can occur when you're pregnant.
- The word "gestational" means pregnant.
- Diabetes means the levels of sugar (glucose) in your blood are high.
- Your body turns many foods into sugar. If you have diabetes, your body has trouble using this sugar.
It's important to know if you have gestational diabetes.
- Once you know, you can take care of your diabetes and have a healthy baby.
- Only your health care provider can determine whether you have gestational diabetes. Talk to your doctor about your risk.
If you've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, the materials below can help you to understand and better take care of yourself and your baby.