Child and Adult Care Food Program

With funding from the USDA, the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) improves the quality of meals served to kids and adults across Colorado. Funding allows for child care centers, family child care homes, at-risk afterschool programs, Head Start and outside-school-hours programs, adult day care centers and emergency and homeless shelters to serve healthy snacks and meals.
Apply - child care centers, adult day care, afterschool programs, Head Start, homeless and emergency shelters
  • To start, download, fill out and send back the CACFP New Applicant Intake Form.
    • You may also print the form and fax to us at 303-756-9926.
    • Or call us at 303-692-2330 and we'll mail you a form.
  • After we get your form, we’ll call you with more information about the process.
Apply - family child care homes
CHEARS is the Colorado Healthy Eating Application and Reimbursement System.
Sign up for one of our free training classes. Watch videos and learn more.
Check out our new Quick Bites training videos covering everything from food safety to time management.
Find new information on meal pattern requirements. They are now better matched with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Find a summer meal site serving kids and teens. Text FOOD to 877-877 or visit

School Food Authority

A School Food Authority (SFA) is the administering unit for the operation of a school feeding program, such as NSLP or SFSP. The application process for an SFA has streamlined requirements.

Getting kids in care programs to eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, and garden produce.
CHEARS manuals and guides, policy updates.
Record of meals served, child and adult menus and production records, list of items for centers, civil rights materials.
Tools for meeting higher nutritional standards.
CACFP newsletter - for copies of earlier issues, please contact the CACFP office at 303-692-2330.
Who can participate
Child care centers, family day care homes or other early education facilities serving:
  • Infants and children through age 12.
  • Children of migrant workers through age 15.
  • Centers that provide care for physically and mentally disabled people where most children are 18 and younger.
  • Daycare facilities that serve adults in a nonresidential setting.
Civil rights information
Related programs, partners, and child nutrition resources