Import Requirements

Animal Health Home | Forms & Publications | Contact Us | Entry Permits | CVI Requirments | Exports

Some import requirements may be waived if cattle are moving to a Colorado Approved Tagging Site or a Colorado Approved Feedlot.

A Colorado Approved Tagging Site is a premises where livestock may be officially identified on behalf of their owner or the person in possession, care, or control of the animals when they are brought to the premises.

A Colorado Approved Feedlot is an approved feedlot that shall be maintained for finish-feeding of animals in dry lot with no provisions for pasturing or grazing. Animals leaving such a feedlot must move directly to slaughter and be accompanied by a current brand inspection certificate.

For other animals:

Importing Dogs And Cats From Other Countries Into Colorado

Importing Circus, Exotic and Zoo Animals

The Four (4) Methods To Obtain an Entry Permit

Veterinarians can use either option 1 or 2 for livestock entry permits.

  1. Veterinarians can use the Online Permitting System (OPS) for obtaining livestock entry permits. More information about OPS can be found on the OPS Resource Page.
  2. Livestock entry permits can also be obtained by calling the Colorado State Veterinarian's Office at (303) 869-9130.
  3. For the import of animals from other countries, call the Colorado State Veterinarian's Office at (303) 869-9130. International health certificates and testing requirements must also be met.
  4. For cervids (Elk) and exotic wildlife entry permits, call the Colorado State Veterinarian's Office at (303) 869-9133. Please be advised that additional processing time and information will be required for these types of permits.

The Colorado State Veterinarian's Office business hours are Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (Mountain Standard Time) and closed on US Federal Holidays.

What Needs To Be On The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)?

All livestock listed on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection shall comply with vaccination, testing, official animal identification requirements and the appropriate information recorded on the CVI. For more information on CVI's visit Electronic Interstate Certificates of Veterinary Inspection resource page.

If Moving Livestock To Another State, Know The Regulations For The Destination State

Check this contact list for the destination's State Veterinarian's Office to acquire more information on each states animal transport regulation or visit the USDA Website for additional information and international animal transport regulations.


PDF icon Approved Tagging Site 1.7.16.pdf68.05 KB