Horse Show Area
The first permanent horse stalls were built by the WPA/CCC in 1937 and form a
58, 240 square foot horseshoe around the parameter of the horse show area.
Made of stone and simple wood roofs these stalls not only house horses, but
while they were being built by the WPA and CCC the workers often used them as
makeshift homes. That same year the show horse barn was constructed for
the stalling of horses and queens. Since 1937 the amount of horses brought
and used at the fair has increased and as such many permanent and temporary structures
have been constructed using what was left of the originally open center field.
Return to Colorado
State Fair Virtual Tour Home
Last modified June 7, 2001