Structural Heritage of the Lookout Mountain School for Boys
1881 - 1968
The State Industrial School for Boys ( now Lookout Mountain School for Boys)
came into existence as a result of a Colorado
General Assembly Act of February 12, 1881. The five-acre site on which the
school was started was occupied first in 1869 by Episcopalian schools for young
men. Jarvis Hall was completed in 1871 and the School of Mines Building in 1872.
Mathews Hall was built as a theological school in 1873. In 1879, Jarvis and
Mathews hall were destroyed by a fire. Soon after that the Episcopal schools
were moved to Denver and the School of Mines came under the control of the State
of Colorado and moved into the heart of the City of Golden.
The Old Administration Building was constructed in 1894 on the fire-scarred ruins of old Jarvis Hall and in part from salvage brick from Jarvis and Mathews Halls. The building now houses the offices of the Chief Youth Services and part of it is used as a residence of the Director of this institution. Most major buildings were constructed between 1890 and 1910. Following is a list of buildings erected during this period:
Officers Quarters 1881
Lincoln Hall 1892
Mathews Hall 1893
Old Administration 1894
Water tower 1901
Dining Hall 1904
Paddleford Hall / Dorm A 1907
Schoech Hall / Dorm D 1909
Farm Structures 1910
Dairy Barn 1912
Horse Barn & Blacksmith Shop 1915/1918
Out of the above-mentioned buildings, Paddleford and Schoech are still in existence and they were remodeled in 1962. They are used as residences for older boys…Officers Quarters are also in existence at present.
There came another era of the development of the physical plant of the Industrial School. This was the period between 1923 and 1940. Major construction projects of this period were as follows:
School Building / Offices 1923
Laundry & Tailor Shop 1927
Heating Plant 1929
Paint Shop 1931
Plumbing Shop 1932
Vocational Shops & Garage 1932
Superintendent's Home 1932
Fire House 1933
Storehouse / Maintenance 1939
Out of these buildings, the school building is now being used as a residence for the older boys. Library building was remodeled in 1959 and since then has been used for the offices of the Social Services Staff. Vocational Shops and Laundry have been remodeled this year and the storehouse was remodeled in 1961 to house the Business Offices. Part of this building is still used for storage purposes. A new semi-automatic heating plant has come into existence this year and the older one will be demolished in the near future. The rest of the buildings are the same. Some of those may have undergone minor changes, but basically they have the original structure.
There was a third period of physical development of this institution. During the period 1956 - 1970 a streamlined school building was constructed and an entire complex of eight modern cottage units came into existence. Also in 1958 a modern interdenominational chapel was constructed, with the help of contributions, on the property of this institution. These new buildings are attractive and functional and they give an impression of the adoption of new rehabilitation ideology.
School & Auditorium 1958
Cottages 1 & 2 1958
Cottages 3 & 4 1959 (Cottage 4 used for Classrooms and Recreational Activities)
Cottages 5 & 6 1961 (Cottage 6 used for Classrooms and Recreational Activities)
Cottages 7 & 8 1961
Power House 1961
Service Station 1968
We are now anticipating to see another period of a final phase of out physical development. The major aspect of this would be the construction of a new Social Services Building in the near future which will give this institution additional dignity of a treatment center, which until recently has had the reputation of a custodial type corrective school. The development of the physical plant is and will be indicative of the progressiveness of the State of Colorado which has been making vigorous efforts to move fast in the areas of mental health and juvenile rehabilitation.1
1902 1930 1949
1955 1959 1961
1. Malcolm Geddis, History of the Development of Physical Plant at the Lookout Mountain School for Boys, Golden: Lookout Mountain School for Boys, 1962. Stored at the Colorado State Archives in RCC 26166 FF 26.
Return to the Lookout Mountain School for Boys Historical Tour[http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/INCLUDES/bottom.htm]
Last modified June 25, 2003