Section 12 of the Territorial Organic Act empowered the Territorial General Assembly to establish their own capital site. This was done by an act approved on November 5, 1861, which located the capital at Colorado City, between Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs in El Paso County. Despite having no accommodations for the General Assembly, Colorado City hosted the Second Legislative Assembly on July 7, 1862. They met first at a Dr. Paul Garvinís log cabin on Colorado Avenue, which was later to be used as a laundry. As the log cabin was cramped and uncomfortable, the meeting was moved to the Lucy Maggard Hotel on Center Street where they were required to get their own wood and water, and clear out of her kitchen during mealtimes. The photo below is Dr. Garvin's lob cabin in Colorado City.
Return to Digital Archives Home