VIRTUAL TOUR of the COLORADO STATE HOME for DEPENDENT and NEGLECTED CHILDREN
CAMPBELL HALL - THOMAS A. FIELD HOUSE #12
Campbell Hall was the first building purchased for the State Home. In 1899 the 12th General Assembly appropriated the money necessary to purchase the Field House. Previous to this purchase, the Home was a rental property at 3233 Vallejo Street in Northwest Denver. The colonial revival stone Campbell Hall was built by the architectural firm of Varian and Sterner in 1892 for Thomas Moore Field. Tragically, Mr. Field died the same year he moved in and his wife passed only four years after. Field's heirs sold the home to David Moffat, who in turn sold the property to the State for the purpose of a permanent housing structure for the State Home.
In 1902 the Field House was remodeled and renamed the Administration Building, and later it was again renamed Margaret P. Campbell Hall. Campbell Hall had over the years filled many roles. The building held offices, girl's rooms, a nursery, staff housing, storage, and the superintendent's residence until 1912.
Back Next Home[http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/INCLUDES/bottom.htm]
Last modified June 18, 2003