Colorado State Capitol Virtual Tour
This red granite plaque was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles in June of 1956 to beautify the Lower Capitol Lawn / Lincoln Park. It was part of their national public service event, and was designed by the Fraternal Order of Eagles National Headquarters. This monument has been controversial since its placement on the capitol grounds, as many citizens feel uncomfortable placing a religious object on tax-supported property. To some, it symbolizes the undeniable religious foundation of our nation, while to others this monument symbolizes a breach in the separation of church and state. While the courts have made numerous decisions related to this monument, each citizen must personally decide what it means to them.
Return to Table of Contents for Capitol Virtual Tour
last modified June 20, 2003