Colorado State Archives
Executive Orders from the Administration of Governor Bill Owens 1999-2005
Wednesday, September 7, 2005
OWENS ANNOUNCES MEMBERS OF
ROADLESS AREA REVIEW TASK FORCE
Dan Hopkins 303-866-6324
Mark Salley 303-866-6323
(DENVER) - Gov. Bill Owens today announced his appointees to the Roadless Areas Review
Task Force that was created under SB 243 and established a 13-member task force. Based upon
public comment, the task force will make recommendations to the Governor within 16 months
regarding which forested areas the public would like to see maintained as roadless, and which
areas are more suitable for multiple-uses.
Gov. Owens appointees to the Task Force are:
In addition, two of the 13 members of the Task Force are appointed by mutual agreement of the
Governor, the Speaker of House and the Senate President. The two are:
- Joseph A. Duda of Fort Collins, Forest Service Management Division Supervisor with
the Colorado State Forest Service
- Diane Hoppe of Sterling, State Representative from House District 65
- Joshua A. Penry of Grand Junction, State Representative from House District 54
- David A. Ubell of Olathe, Montrose County Commissioner
- In addition, the Executive Director of the Department of Natural Resource Russell
George is named as the chair of the Task Force.
Of the remaining seats on the Task Force, two will be appointed by the Speaker of the House,
two by the Senate President; and one appointment by both the House and Senate Agriculture
- Jim Lochhead, former Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Natural
Resources and currently a partner with Brownstein Hyatt & Farber, P.C.
- John Swartout, chairman of Greater Outdoors Colorado
Owens called the Task Force "a bipartisan, common-sense solution to dealing with recent federal
decisions regarding Colorado's forests."
# # #
Archives Homepage |
State Homepage | Department Homepage